Ember Defender Bush Fire Protection Roof Sprinkler Easy Installation 19-152
The Ember Defender™ Bushfire Protection Roof Sprinkler
The Ember Defender™ is an adjustable Roof sprinkler designed to protect homes from ember attack and aid the prevention of damage to houses during bush fires.
CSIRO has stated that over 90% or all houses burnt in a bushfire are caused by ember attack, not through radiant heat or flame.
Fire Protection Association (FPA) Australia have also stated that a bushfire sprinkler system, or external water sprinkler system can be a major factor in protecting homes built in bushfire prone areas.
- Easy Installation with garden hoses
- Can be plumbed in with poly or copper lines.
- no plumber required for basic installations
- suitable for most roof types.
- Bush Fire Protection Roof Sprinkler
- Fits Most Roof Installations - Adjustable
- No Plumber Required (Garden Hose installation)
- Can Be Fitted With Poly Or Copper*
- Up to 7m Radius (Approx 85 sq/m Coverage*)
- Winner of the ABC's The New Inventors
FAQ's About The Ember Defender™
How does water pressure affect Ember Defenders performance?
The pressure you will have in your Ember Defender system will vary depending on how many sprinklers you have connected, the height of your roof, and water pressure from your tank or mains supply. Also, in a bushfire situation you need to assume the worst and allow for lower water pressure than what is normally available from your mains supply. The butterfly sprinkler head used on the Ember Defender unit is specifically designed to maximise water coverage at low water pressure. To achieve maximum water coverage on your roof from your Ember Defender units, the water pressure should be around 150 kPa, 21.7 psi or 15.3 metres head.
If you are using tank water, most pumps will provide more than adequate water pressure as they normally operate above 350kPa. If you are using mains water, again water pressure is usually adequate. For example while Sydney Water guarantee water pressure of 15 metres head or 147kPa, on average water pressure is 50 metre head or 490kPa. Even if this is reduced by 60% the average water pressure would be 20 metre head or 196 kPa.
Also, if you are running off tank water you need to understand how long you can run the system for (assuming you lose the water and it doesn’t run back into your tank!)
How Many homes in Australia are located in bushfire prone areas?
It is estimated that 1 to 1.5 million homes are located within 130m of bushland, classifying them as being located in a bushfire prone area. This estimate is based on the following information.
In 2005 there were over 10.9 million known addresses in Australia of which 80%, or 8.3 million homes, are located in major capital cities and their surrounding areas. Of those 8.3 million homes, 338,000 are located within 80m of bushland and 489,000 are located within 130m of bushland.
Source: COUNTING BUSHFIRE-PRONE ADDRESSES IN THE GREATER SYDNEY REGION, Keping Chen, Risk Frontiers - Natural Hazards Research Centre, Macquarie University, 2005
Of the remaining 2.6 million located in rural areas it is not know what % are located within 80m or 130m of bushland. If we assume 50% of these homes are in bushfire prone areas (give or take 20%) then we get a range of 1.040 million to 1.560 million.
An article published by The Sydney Morning Herald, suggests that as many as 1 million homes in Sydney alone face a serious risk from bushfires.
Will the Ember Defender™ protect my home from a bushfire?
The Ember Defender system is designed to reduce the impact of ember attacks on your home in the case of a bushfire. It is not designed to protect your home from radiant heat or direct flame in the case of a bushfire.
How many Ember Defenders do I need to buy to cover my house?
This will depend on the shape and area of your roof. For a standard roof size of 250m2 you would require 3 units to provide adequate coverage. For an unusual shaped roof or larger houses you may require more.
Due to the nature of the products we sell, a strict return policy is in place. We work with food grade certified materials that must be un-opened and un-used as to be able to be re-sold.
You will receive a credit of equal amount, less the postage cost to send it to you.
- Wrongly purchased items may be returned for a merchandise credit, this applies for but not limited to: Wrong size, wrong system etc.
- 30 Day return Policy: We will accept returns up to 30 days after the initial purchase, all orders should be checked immediately for damage/fault upon arrival to aid us with the return process.
- Return shipping is to be paid by the buyer to the address provided
- Should the item appear faulty or doesn’t work how described, the unit/item must be returned for testing (if requested), the return postage paid by the buyer. If the unit/item is deemed to be faulty, compensation will be provided for the postage cost. If the unit/item is deemed to be in working order and as described, the buyer will need to pay for return postage.
If you have any questions about our return policy, please contact us before purchase. This will also help to ensure you purchase the correct product that suits your requirements.