WaterMark Slim Design Twin Water Filter System | 20" x 2.5" (GT1-80)
Get filtered water at an affordable price! Our simple Slim Twin Cartridge Design, based on our Slim Sized 20" x 2.5" Reinforced UV Resistant "Big Blue" housings iis deal for tight-spaced applications, giving you a max 27 Litres Per Minute of water flow, with an improved surface area and contact time for maximum impurity reduction as compared to the standard under-sink 10" x 2.5" sized filters. You also have the freedom to customize your selection of premium-grade Sediment or 100% Coconut Carbon Block filters (Pure Brand Carbon filters certified to National Sanitation Foundation Standard No. 42). This system fits generic, standard-sized 20" x 2.5" filter cartridges - so you don't have to worry about getting locked into a system that requires expensive, specially-designed cartridges!
PLEASE NOTE: THIS SYSTEM ALONE MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR RAIN, TANK AND BORE WATER FILTRATION. IF THIS IS YOUR WATER SOURCE, PLEASE SCROLL RIGHT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM AND READ SECTION **FILTERING TANK AND BORE WATER - IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE YOU ORDER**
- FILTER SIZE - The slim 20" x 2.5" size of system provides DOUBLE the surface area of a typical 10" x 2.5" under-sink filter system, but LESS surface area than a 10" x 4.5" system. This system is ideal for installation in tight spaces where width/depth space is an issue (i.e. there is not enough space to mount the wider style 10" x 4.5" system), in 1 bed/1 bath cabin/granny flat scenarios, or where a semi-commercial amount of filtered drinking water is required.
- SHOULD I SELECT A TWIN OR TRIPLE WHOLE HOUSE FILTER SYSTEM?
Those on mains water usually don't get that much visible sediment (as compared to those on tank water, for example), however, ultra-fine particles (i.e. particles that are smaller than 100 micron, the width of a human hair) can clog up your carbon filters much quicker than anticipated and reduce your water pressure. The issue of elevated sediment is especially prevalent if you live in an area with known water quality issues, or if there is an influx of sediment, for example, due to public works, flooding and drought, which are all common causes of elevated Total Suspended Solids levels in mains water. So, whilst Carbon filters do block sediment and it is possible to run a Dual Carbon system, please consider whether a 20" x 4.5" Sized System or a Triple Filter System with a Dual Sediment Combo OR Sediment Pre-Filter and Dual Carbon set-up is more suitable for your water conditions.
- INSTALLATION - Please note this system is WaterMark Certified to Australian Plumbing Standards (AS/NZS 3497), and will need to be installed by a licensed plumber. Simply order online with free shipping to your home, and once it arrives any local licensed plumber will be able to do the installation (the system also comes with instructions)! When calling around for quotes, be sure to ask about installing a "bypass" (see pictures below) so you can still get water into your home when the time comes for filter changes! Normally, a whole of house system will be installed wherever the mains water line tees into your property. As this system is UV resistant, it can be installed in direct sunlight or in the shade.
- FILTER CHANGES AND MAINTENANCE - Lastly, we recommended filter changes on a 6-monthly basis, and offer a 6-monthly filter reminder email service to help you remember! Simply email email@example.com when you place your order, and ask us to set you up with a filter reminder! Filter changes are easy enough – simply turn off the water going into the system, press down on the pressure relief valves, unscrew the sumps, replace the filters, screw it back up and turn the water back on! You may notice the water feels a bit "slippery" at first after installing new filters, but don't worry - this is normal and will go away quickly once enough water has run through the new filters. Also, if the water looks cloudy at first, again - don't stress! This is dissolved oxygen and it will go away quickly once enough water has run through the new filters.
(Example of a Watermark Certified 20" x 4.5" Twin Whole House Filter System installed with a bypass.)
Customise your filter system set up to suit your unique needs. Please read the below for a full breakdown of which filters to choose, and why*.
*Please note - the below recommendations are general information only and may not always suit your requirements. Please call us on 07 5597 4585 prior to purchase if you have any questions about your requirements.
- Choose from pleated (washable) or polyspun (disposable) sediment filters.
- 5 Micron is well suited for mains/town treated water and high-quality tank/bore** water.
- 20 Micron will help prevent the majority of sediment from passing through without compromising water pressure.
- If you get a lot of sediment (typically on tank/bore**), consider upgrading to a Triple Filter System with a UV Sterilisation System which allows you to place a pleated filter first, followed by a poly spun with a final carbon element. Alternatively, consider the Weatherproof Twin Filter + Whole House Water Sanitation System.
Tank and bore** water are often contaminated with sticks, leaves, and rock sediment. However, you'd be surprised just how much sediment - such as sand, dirt, clay, silt, and even rust particles - can make its way through municipal water supplies and into your home! In some cases, finely dissolved matter can even cause visible discolouration, build up and staining, along with a foul taste and odour - and even a gritty texture in some rare cases! Installing a sediment filter also filter helps protect your pipes and pump from getting clogged, and can also help to protect your carbon filters from getting blocked up with ultra-fine silt. When it comes to which size micron rating to choose, the rule of thumb is: smaller the micron rating, the finer the level of filtration.
Pleated (Washable/Reusable) Sediment Filters
- Larger Surface Area Catches More Debris
- Ideal Pre-Filter for Tanks/Bores**
Pleated filters carry a much larger surface area than polyspun filters, and therefore they are able to catch a lot more debris. Simply remove the filter, clean, and re-use! Very popular for tank water when you have a lot of debris like leaves and dirt, particularly after a fresh rain. Pleated filters are also useful for bore water when you have a small amount of iron or manganese present, as pleated filters are easy and quick to clean. The washable pleats on this filter are designed to be washed and reinstalled. However, please consider that if this is drinking water you need to be careful not to overuse a pleated filter, because it will eventually gather bacterial contaminants and incur micro-tears. If the water isn't all that bad you might want to consider using a polyspun disposable filter and replace it when dirty.
Poly Spun (Polypropylene) Disposable Sediment Filters
- High Flow & Low Pressure Drop
- Cost-Effective & Disposable
Poly Spun filters produce a high flow and low pressure drop, and do not accumulate bacteria as much as other materials. They are highly cost-effective and disposable. All of our poly spun filters are made of 100% Virgin Polypropylene. Polyspun filters are manufactured to create a gradient density that allows for excellent sediment-holding capacity and filtration efficiency.
Pure Brand 100% Coconut Carbon Filters
- High Quality, 100% Coconut Shell Carbon that Produces "Sweet" Tasting Water
- Excellent Contaminant Reduction Capacity for Common Water Additives such as Chlorine, Trihalomethanes and Volatile Organic Compounds
- Recommended 12 Month Lifespan if Used on Municipal Treated Water
- Designed for Minimum Impact on Water Pressure
The perfect carbon block filter is made from 100% Coconut Shell Carbon, which creates what many believe to be the sweetest tasting water. The unique pore structure of this carbon is well suited for chemical absorption, including VOC's, while reducing chlorine and chemicals that contribute to taste and odour. Coconut Carbon provides a much higher volume of micropores than coal, wood, or lignite-based carbon. Thus, resulting in a more effective removal of trihalomethanes (THMs) from municipal water supplies. The larger surface area provides a more effective method of filtering common contaminants such as chlorine and chloramines. The unique raw material of the coconut shell and the carbon manufacturing process ensures exceptional hardness and low ash content.
Pure Brand's 100% Coconut Carbon Block Filters are made from a combination of high-performance coconut shell carbon, unique binders, and industry-leading manufacturing processes to deliver supreme-quality filtration. Expertly designed and manufactured, these filters deliver exceptionally low-pressure drop, resistance to sediment build-up, and excellent contaminant-reduction capabilities. Pure Carbon Blocks are registered in compliance with NSF/ANSI 42, 53, and 61 for several things, including VOCs, THMs, Lead & Heavy Metal Reduction, Chloramine Reduction & Chlorine Taste & Odour reduction. This also includes meeting incredibly high standards of purity and safety in the materials used.
Please see below for a full comparison of our range of 20" x 2.5" Carbon Filters:
GT4-10LPD - 20 Micron Low-Pressure Drop Coconut Carbon (For Effective Carbon Filtration Without Compromising Water Pressure)
- LPD Carbon is perfect for those with low water pressure concerns.
- Use standalone to filter chlorine in low-pressure systems.
- Ideal Pre-Filter for use alongside finer micron-rated carbons for optimal filtration and help extend the life of your more specialised carbon blocks, whilst maintaining good pressure (i.e. 20 Micron Low Pressure Drop Carbon followed by a 0.5 Micron Chloramine Reduction Carbon OR 0.5 Micron Lead Reduction Carbon).
Low water pressure is often referred to as the ‘bane’ of water filtration. Most filtration systems require minimum working pressures exceeding 350kPa to ensure the system functions correctly and won't affect the flow of water pressure to the house. However, many off-grid systems rely on an external pump system and subsequently struggle with low water pressure. The 20uM Low-Pressure Drop Carbon is designed for these conditions. It has been specially manufactured to have a very low density to allow free-flowing water without compromising on chlorine removal. This is achieved by using a special blend of activated coconut carbon of a hydrophilic nature, which allows the carbon to have less contact time whilst removing the comparable levels of chlorine and other chemicals as other coconut carbon filters of this size. Carbon is also required in some tank** water applications to remove organic smells or tastes in the water. NOTE: This filter MUST be fitted in conjunction with a 5 Micron Pre-Filter if used for UV-treatment (i.e. for raw/rainwater**).
Example Filter Combo For Mains Water*:
Filter 1: 20 Micron Low Pressure Drop Carbon Block
Filter 2: Your Choice of Coconut Carbon Block (See Below)
Example Filter Combo For Tank/Bore**
Filter 1: 5 Micron Pleated OR 5 Micron Poly Spun Sediment Filter
Filter 2: 20 Micron Low Pressure Drop Carbon Block
Filter 3: Ultraviolet Treatment (if on Tank/Bore**) (Not Included)
IMPORTANT - A 5 Micron filter MUST accompany the 20 Micron Low Pressure Drop Carbon if intended for Pre-Ultraviolet Sterilization. Carbon as the sole means of filtration is insufficient for treating rain/bore water. Please refer to the note at the bottom of this page: **FILTERING TANK AND BORE WATER - IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE YOU ORDER**.
GT4-10CTO - 5 Micron Chlorine Taste & Odour Reduction Coconut Carbon (For Improved Chemical Reduction on Mains Water)
- CTO Carbon is our standard recommendation for chlorine reduction, improved sweet taste and reduced odour - great value and quality!
- Ideal for use after the 20 Micron Low Pressure Drop Carbon Cartridge (see above) for Superior Chlorine Reduction in mains-treated water.
Chlorine is generally the biggest concern for those on municipal water or those who use chlorine to disinfect their tanks, due to the offensive chemical smell and taste it produces, along with potential health effects resulting from topical exposure or consumption. Whilst Chlorine is effective at sanitising bacteria and viruses, Volatile Organic Compounds and Disinfection By-Products such as Trihalomethane (THM) and Chloroform can form when chlorine reacts with oxygen and other chemicals in solution. The Chlorine, Taste, and Odour cartridge will provide you with clean, great-tasting water free from nasty chemicals and remove or reduce any chemical smells in the water caused by free chlorine.
Example Filter Combo on Mains Water*:
Filter 1: 5 Micron Pleated OR 5/20 Micron Poly Spun Sediment Filter
OR 20 Micron Low Pressure Drop Carbon Block
Filter 2: 5 Micron Coconut Carbon Block
GT4-10BCC - 5 or 0.5 Micron Bacteriostatic (Silver Impregnated) Coconut Carbon Block (For Preventing Filter Biofouling in Raw/Tank/Bore** Water)
- Ideal for Pre-Filtering tank** & Raw Water Prior to Ultraviolet Treatment.
- Prevents Bacteria from Proliferating within the Cartridge.
So, how does Silver Impregnation inhibit the growth of bacteria in a carbon filter? When bacteria come into contact with silver, the silver ions puncture the bacteria's cell membrane and wreak havoc by binding to and denaturing the bacteria's DNA. The sulphydryl group already within the bacterial cell also reacts with the silver, producing a silver sulphur complex that immobilises the respiratory and reproductive activity of the bacterial cell. Interestingly, Silver Impregnation has an incredibly long-lasting effect, as the dead bacteria then leach the silver molecules back into their environment, effectively killing neighbouring live bacteria as they die.
Dead bacteria store the microscopic silver particles within their cells (see above image of dead bacteria with silver nanoparticles (white spots), making them deadly to live bacteria.
(Source: "Antibacterial Activity of Silver-Killed Bacteria: The "Zombie" Effect" (2015), https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25906433/).
Tank Water/BoreWater** Filter Combo Example* (Recommended Over 50 psi/344 kPa Pump Pressure):
Filter 1: 5 Micron Pleated OR 5/20 Micron Poly Spun Sediment Filter
Filter 3: 0.5 Micron Silver Impregnated Carbon
Filter 3: Ultraviolet Treatment (Not Included)
Bore/Tank Water** Filter Combo Example*:
Filter 1: 5 Micron Pleated OR 5/20 Micron Poly Spun Sediment Filter
Filter 2: 5 Micron Silver Impregnated Carbon
Filter 3: Ultraviolet Treatment (Not Included)
**FILTERING RAIN, TANK AND BORE WATER - IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE YOU ORDER**
About Rain Water
Australia is the world’s driest inhabited continent, and an astonishing 10% of Aussies don’t have access to a mains water supply, so it’s no wonder why rainwater and bore storage tanks are so popular in rural areas to save water during drought and for household use all year round in cooking, cleaning, gardening, bathing and sometimes even drinking. However, whilst many people enjoy the sweet taste of rain and spring water, and some even swear by the ‘raw water’ trend (which proponents (sometimes falsely) believe has more minerals and fewer contaminants than regular chlorinated town water), we cannot stress enough that drinking untreated water is a very bad idea!
Scarily, in Australia, the general public perception is that rainwater is pure, clean, and safe to drink, but according to the Australian Environmental Health committee’s Guidance of the Use of Rainwater tanks, the fact is that the microbial quality of tank-collected rainwater is typically worse than regular urban tap water, and not to mention, the chemical quality of rainwater can be negatively impacted for those living near heavy industry or in areas with heavy traffic emissions. For example, rainwater samples in Port Pirie, South Australia, (which has one of the world’s largest lead smelters), have been found to contain levels of lead that exceed Australian Drinking Water Guidelines by up to ten times! Even bushfire can contaminate rainwater! And that’s not to mention the microbiologically sickening soup of bacteria, viruses parasites that inevitably make their way into your tank from disease-spreading insects such as mosquitoes, the excrement and decaying carcasses of frogs, snakes, rodents, and possums that commonly live in and around tanks, and the droppings from bats and birds flying overhead! Also consider that bacteria tend to proliferate in moist and warm environments, meaning that warmer weather, in particular, has the tendency to turn your tank into a putrified bacterial breeding ground. Thus, whilst rainwater may smell odourless, taste great, and look clean and clear to the naked eye, with the human senses alone, you simply cannot tell what potentially harmful microscopic contaminants could be lurking in your tank water (even after filtering the water with carbon) – and you certainly don’t want to be drinking it!
Alternatively, check out the specially designed High Performance | Weatherproof Twin Filter + UV Whole House Water Sanitation System (HPF-UV):
About Bore Water
Bore water will always require filtration, as whilst you would think it is “naturally purified” to some extent as the water seeps through the aquifer via various layers of bedrock, this water is highly susceptible to contamination by bacteria, viruses, parasites (see: Brain-Eating Parasites), sewerage (think human excrement, cleaning and bathing products), chemicals, fertilisers, pesticides, minerals, heavy metals (such as lead, zinc, chromium, copper, cadmium, arsenic and nickel), and sometimes even radioactive elements (such as uranium) from both natural sources and human activity. As with rainwater treatment, the most cost-effective solution is typically to use 5 Micron Carbon Filtration in combination with UV Sterilisation to ensure 99.9% eradication of all parasites, bacteria, viruses. However, this system is not always a "total fix", as bore water chemistry is incredibly complex, and sometimes may not even be treatable. Yet another common misconception we often encounter is that carbon can filter out anything and everything – but unfortunately, carbon doesn’t kill bacteria or remove minerals, salts and other such dissolved inorganic substances!
We STRONGLY recommend that you get your bore water tested to determine if there are any underlying issues in the water chemistry of your bore, before you make any purchases or try to filter it. If you have not had your water tested yet and would like to get this done, please contact us to have your bore water analysed.
Housing Size: 20" x 2.5"
Includes opening spanner
Due to the nature of the products we sell, a strict return policy is in place. We work with food grade certified materials that must be un-opened and un-used as to be able to be re-sold.
You may receive a refund or credit of equal amount, less the restocking fee if applicable and any other deductions that are relevant.
- Wrongly purchased items may be returned for a merchandise credit, this applies for but not limited to: Wrong size, wrong system etc.
- 30 Day return Policy: Returns will not be accepted without prior approval or after 30 days of invoice date.
- All returns will incur a 17.5% restocking fee or cost to send the item to you whichever greater. FSA may use discretion to determine the restocking fee.
- Any damages (minor, that can be repaired) will incur a fee which will be deducted from the total refund which will be equal to the cost of the replacement
parts (List Price) and labour charge (if applicable) to repair the system(s). This will be separate to the restocking fee.
- Any damage considered to be major and not feasible for repair may be refused and the return request will be void. The customer will be responsible for the return freight or disposal of the damaged unit.
- Return shipping is to be paid by the buyer to the address provided. It is recommended that the customer applies transit warranty to the return freight in case of damage.
- Any damages to the system that were not reported to FSA within 48 business hours of receipted delivery are not covered under our transit warranty.
- Should the item appear faulty or doesn’t work how described, the unit/item must be returned for testing (if requested), the return postage paid by the buyer. If the unit/item is deemed to be faulty, compensation will be provided for the postage cost (Proof of cost required). If the unit/item is deemed to be in working order and as described, the buyer will responsible for return postage.
If you have any questions about our return policy, please contact us before purchase. This will also help to ensure you purchase the correct product that suits your requirements.